Thursday, January 27, 2011

Having Free Choice of Emotional Response?

Friends:
Having Free Choice of Emotional Response?



Bhikkhus, the concentration gained by Awareness by Breathing,
when developed and cultivated, is of great fruit & advantage.
And how, Bhikkhus, is concentration by Awareness by Breathing
developed & cultivated so that it is of great fruit & advantage?
Bhikkhus, when a Bhikkhu, who have gone to the forest, or to the
root of a tree, or to an empty hut, there he sits down cross-legged,
having straightened his body and back, & set up awareness around
the nostrils, then just plain aware of that itself he breathes in, and
then just solely aware of only that breathing itself he breathes out...
1: Breathing in long, he knows, notes & understands: I inhale long!
Breathing out long, he knows, notes & understands: I exhale long!
... ... ... (steps 2-15)
16: He trains thus: Contemplating relinquishment, I will breathe in!
He trains thus: Contemplating relinquishment, I will breathe out!
It is, Bhikkhus, when Awareness by Breathing is trained, developed
&
refined in exactly this way that it is of great fruit & advantage!
I too, Bhikkhus, before my enlightenment, while still a Bodhisatta,
generally
dwelt in this dwelling. Then neither did my body, nor did
my eyes became tired & my mind, by not clinging, was freed from
the mental fermentations...
Therefore, Bhikkhus, if a Bhikkhu wishes: May neither my body
nor
my eyes become tired & may my mind, by not clinging, become
freed from the mental fermentations, this same concentration
won by Awareness by Breathing should be closely attended to.
Therefore, Bhikkhus, if a Bhikkhu wishes: May all the memories
and motivations of the household life be left all behind by me,
then this same concentration by Awareness by Breathing should
be frequently trained and enthusiastically attended to.
Therefore, Bhikkhus, if a Bhikkhu should come to wish:
May I perceive only disgust in what is attractive & tempting... or
May
I perceive only beauty in what is repulsive & disgusting... or
May I dwell unaffected in equanimity & quite aloof of both the
attractive
& the repulsive, just aware & clearly comprehending...
then this same concentration by Awareness by Breathing should
be cultivated often and devoted much wholehearted attention!

Source (edited extract):
The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikāya. [V:316-7]
section 54: Ānāpānasamyutta. Thread 8: The simile of the Lamp!


The Lamp!
Have a nice & noble day!
 
Friendship is the Greatest!
Bhikkhu Samāhita _/\_ ]
http://What-Buddha-Said.net

No comments: